The day the music died: Malcolm X’ assassination, Feb. 21, 1965

February 18, 2011

Update (below): The assassin with the shotgun

by Roland Sheppard

Malcolm X in 1964, flashing the infectious smile that drew people to him
Malcolm X in 1964, flashing the infectious smile that drew people to him
In the afternoon of Feb. 21, 1965, I went to the Audubon Ballroom to hear Malcolm X speak. I also went to sell the newspaper, The Militant, a radical newspaper that printed the truth about Malcolm X, published his speeches and publicly defended him.

When I got to the ballroom, things were radically different – there were no cops. Normally, Malcolm’s meetings in Harlem were crawling with cops. As I was selling papers, Malcolm X approached the Audubon Ballroom. I offered to sell him the latest issue, but he told me, “Not today, Roland. I am alone and in a hurry.”

A while later as I entered the meeting room, again I did not see any cops. I went in to sit down where I normally sat along with the rest of the press in the front and the left side of the room. On the way to my seat, Gene Roberts, who later surfaced as a police agent member of the Black Panther Party, told me that I could not sit at my regular place but that on that day I had to sit in the front row on the right side of the hall, facing the stage.

As I sat down, I glanced over to where I normally sat and saw a large Black man with a navy blue-gray trench coat. When the meeting started, all was quiet as the crowd listened to Benjamin X introducing Malcolm X.

When Malcolm approached the podium, he gave the normal Muslim greeting for peace. At that point a disturbance occurred in the room. Two men were standing about halfway back in the room and to the right of Malcolm on stage. One was shouting, “Get your hand out of my pocket!”

Malcolm was trying to calm things down, when the men – one later identified as Talmadge Hayer – started running down the right aisle shouting and firing a pistol at Malcolm and ran out the exit doors by the stage, to the right of Malcolm X.

Malcolm is wheeled out of the Audubon Ballroom on a stretcher, escorted by NYPD, on the fateful day, Feb. 21, 1965.
Suddenly I heard gunshots fired from all over the place, and I instinctively hit the floor. When I looked up, I saw Malcolm X standing up and glaring down at one of his assassins. At that point, from the corner of my eye, nearby to my left, I saw a flash from a gun as I watched Malcolm X fall down and back about 10 feet.

In that instant, as Malcolm died before my eyes, I suddenly realized how big he was and I realized that he was a giant in stature and in the world. This vision of Malcolm X, being assassinated, has haunted me ‘til this day.

The fatal blast, which I later found out to be from a shotgun, came from the area where I had seen the large Black man with a navy blue-gray trench coat! When I left the hall, Malcolm’s bodyguards told me that they had caught two of the assassins, one who was shot – Talmadge Hayer – and one whom the police took away.

A few weeks later, when I was questioned in the Harlem police station, I was shown a series of photos of people whom I recognized as members of the Nation of Islam or Malcolm’s organization. I also saw a picture of the large Black man with a navy blue-gray trench coat that I had seen at the Audubon Ballroom.

I was thinking of how to respond to the cops and how to say that I did not recognize the photos of Malcolm’s friends and supporters and the members of the Nation of Islam. I then told the cops that I had to go to the rest room.

When I got to the men’s room door, I saw the same large Black man coming out of the men’s room that I had seen in the Audubon Ballroom and in the photos that had just been shown to me. Then he walked by me, past the desks of the secretarial pool, and went to his office inside the police station!

At that point I knew that he and the government either killed Malcolm X or were part of the assassination plot. I became very nervous thinking about what I was going to say to the cops when I got back and how I was going to get out of the station alive.

I then came up with, “I cannot recognize anyone, for all Black people look the same.” The cops nodded in agreement and we were allowed to leave the police station.

Malcolm X was one of my heroes. He was the most honest mass leader that I have ever known or seen. He was a great orator and his speeches seemed like a conversation between himself and the audience.

His speeches were like music to my ears and have inspired me for the rest of my life in the fight for social justice. He was so human in his orations. I still remember him when he made the “Harlem Hate Gang Scare” speech at the Militant Labor Forum on May 29, 1964, and other speeches in which he chuckled a “heh heh” when he was about to make a special comment.

At that forum, he said: “It’s impossible for a chicken to produce a duck egg … The system of this country cannot produce freedom for an Afro-American. It is impossible for this system, this economic system, this political system, this social system, this system period. It is impossible for it, as it now stands, to produce freedom right now for the Black man in this country — it is impossible. And if ever a chicken did produce a duck egg (heh heh), I’m certain you would say it was a revolutionary chicken (heh heh).”

Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, both incomparable leaders, both assassinated - Photo: Trikosko, Library of Congress
Both he and Martin Luther King had come to similar positions about capitalism and the Vietnam War at the time of their death. That is why this government assassinated them. No one has followed in their footsteps.

From the point of view of this government, the world leader in political assassinations, the two assassinations worked. For to this day, no mass leader has had the courage to pick up where they left off. They were able to silence the art, science and truth of these two great orators. To me, Feb. 21 is “the day the music died.” It was the saddest day of my life.

For an in depth explanation of the government’s assassinations of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, read my article, “The Assassinations of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr.

Update: The assassin with the shotgun

On April 30, 2010, I received an email from John Judge, director of the Coalition on Political Assassinations, referring to an April 22, 2010, article titled “For the First Time in History, The Face of William Bradley, Shotgun Assassin of Malcolm X-El Hajj Malik El Shabazz, in a Public Safety Campaign Commercial for Mayor Cory Booker!“ by Abdur-Rahman Muhammad.

William Bradley
In that article is the picture shown here of William Bradley, who is the man that I had seen in the Audubon Ballroom and in the photos that the Harlem police showed me while I was being interrogated. Bradley was the man I saw coming out of the men’s room, walking by me, past the desks of the secretarial pool, and into his office inside the police station, as I was going to the men’s room!

As I wrote in my original 2009 essay (above): “At that point I knew that he and the government either killed Malcolm X or were part of the assassination plot.” And now I knew his name.

William Bradley is the man that Talmadge Hayer identified as the one who shot the shotgun. Zak Kondo also identified William Bradley as the assassin with the shotgun.

In his article, Abdur-Rahman Muhammad states: “Although his name has been in the public domain now for well over three decades, ever since 1977 when Hayer filed his affidavit with famed lawyer William Kuntsler naming his accomplishes, nevertheless a face has never been attached to the name. Historian and member of the committee researching this story Zak Kondo published a marvelous book two decades ago on the assassination of Malcolm X, wherein he explored quite a bit of biographical material on the five assassins. Spike Lee even named the five killers in the credits of his movie. But in all of these years none of them, including ‘Willie’ Bradley, has ever filed a libel suit. And for good reason – they would lose.”

I was interviewed by Glen Ford of Black Agenda Report on May 8, 2010.

I spoke at the Coalition on Political Assassinations Feb. 21, 2010, meeting on the 45th anniversary of Malcolm X’ assassination, “The Threat of a Black Messiah.”

Video streaming by Ustream

This is a clear audio of the same meeting.

This video, “MALCOLM X The Assassination of Malcolm X,” shows the police catching a second man after Malcolm’s assassination.

MALCOLM X The Assassination of Malcolm X
Uploaded by polobylimsa. – Watch the latest news videos.

A new improved video, “The Hunt for William Bradley,” by Karl Evanzz in association of Shabazz Productions, identifies the man rescued from the crowd by the police as William Bradley. The video is contained in a collection of clips titled “Naked Lies: The Continuous War Against Malcolm X.” Shabazz Productions had previously produced: Omar Shabazz “Inside Job: Betrayal of the Black Messiah.”

Roland Sheppard is a writer and activist and former BA of the Painters Union in San Francisco. Email him at rolandsheppard@gmail.com and visit his website, http://web.mac.com/rolandgarret.

14 thoughts on “The day the music died: Malcolm X’ assassination, Feb. 21, 1965

1. Aysha Vellez

im a student at a high school in hawaii and id like to say that this article is very fascinating and that it shows that Malcolm X was actually in interest of the Black people and not just in superiority of all blacks

2. DeShawn Hardison

Wow, this was an amazing article. I would absolutely like to do an interview with you or something. I’ve never really looked into this until i found out that one of the men supposedly involved in the assassination would be released in April. How do you feel about that?

3. John Judge

For more information on the Coalition on Political Assassinations see http://www.politicalassassinations,com as well as our Facebook and YouTube pages. We have held three informative panels co-sponsored with Dowoti Desir, the first two with the MalcolmX/Betty Shabazz Cultural and Educational Center. Author Jim Douglass addressed our Memphis regional meeting in 2004 regarding his work on the assassination of Malcolm X and he has a book coming out on that topic. COPA seeks the best evidence and research regarding these assassinations. We also advocate for the release of all government records relating to the life and death of Malcolm X and we support the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Records Act which I drafted for Rep. Cynthia McKinney in 2001 and which is scheduled to be reintroduced by Rep. John Lewis and Senator John Kerry in the current session of Congress. We know much more now than we did five decades ago about the role of the military and civilian intelligence and police agencies on federal, state, local and international levels in the murders of the Kennedy brothers, Malcolm X and Dr. King, among others. For more information, write to copa@starpower.net

1. steelers43

Probably drinking margaritas in Cuba!!! How can such a man live knowing that he killed one of the best speakers and political activists of our time!!!

4. Craig

This is a haunting story for our generations that need more light shined on it. The youth of today should be readily made aware of such feats of our Black Heroes, whom happen to be REAL. I totally agree that no one has stepped up since Malcolm and Martin, to take on the jugernaut we call our country – the good ole boy U.S of A! The game has changed, but the players are still the same… They pacify us now with small victories in legislation and other law binding but ever changing governmental laws and regulations. This country was never for us, and nothing has changed despite Obama being President. They (white america and these so-called progressive negroes) have messed not only this country up with their own personal agenda's, but the world entirely. I would go so far as to say, there is no need to pull the wool over Black American's eyes anymore – If they want to screw you over, they just do it in front of you and dare you to say anything. We have no unity to fight them on the levels that will cause an uprising… a revolution on the levels of Malcolm and Martin. They say God bless America – I say God save us all!

5. steelers43

I totally agree with you Craig. It is very sad that Malcolm X and Dr. King had to die. Imagine what it would be like if they were alive today!!?! It only goes to show you that we live in a very controlled society and so many people and people of the world believe that the U.S. is a free place and that the streets are paved in gold–what a joke!! I really don't understand why great people get murdered!!! If it were the other way around we would have more tax dollars to put in our schools instead of our prisons!!! Murder the evil, not the change makers!!! I am a staunch Malcolm X supporter and I am a White female. His story is deeply embedded into my heart!!! X your spirit is still alive!!!!!

6. Jane Abernathy

J.Edgar Hoover had El–Hajj MalcomX killed. He was on this since his first being hired at the Bureau of Investigation, now called the FBI. He had a lengthy file on Malcom X, and vowed to take him down because he was making US Racial policy known to the outside world. The government of the US could not have that, and thus justified his killing by using the split with NOI as an excuse to get rid of him, just like they did Martin L. KIng, Jr.

7. aaron

I have been trying to find a text of the speech he gave that night, or audio, but it doesn't seem to exist as far as i can find

8. UIU WBB vs. Wartburg November 15

Good day I am so thrilled I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I

am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot

for a tremendous post and a all round thrilling

blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to

read through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

9. Gautama X

Audio of the event starts @ 04:30.
    Sadly, he was only able to offer a greeting of peace before being taken from us.
    Sadder still is the realization that regardless of the conspirators, this was a black on black crime. A phenomena that has grown to prolific proportions since that day. If these great leaders were still alive they would most likely be angry or disappointed in the lack of unity & the overabundance of whining & finger pointing. ‘Activists’ are people of ACTION. They don’t sit around waiting for ‘God to save us’. They RISE UP to save themselves & those that they care about. They wouldn’t have complained about gun & liquor stores on every corner of their neighborhood. Instead they would have mobilized the community to boycott, they would have marched. A little over a year ago there was a rural black community in a small town that made the news for hosting frequent ‘street fights’. A majority of the participants were teenage girls, with the adults videotaping the brawls so they could post them on youtube. One of the major reasons that the story got press was because a teenage boy was assaulted by an adult female with a stun gun. He was trying to pull 3 attackers off of his teenage sister & the woman zapped him for it. This was in a neighborhood that has NO liquor or gun stores. It would have been nice to see someone like Dick Gregory pay them a visit, just so he could ask WTF? Even nicer if someone like Will Smith would have done it, but I guess he’s too busy with the ‘Church of Scientology’. It’s behavior like this that dishonors the memory of King & El-Shabazz. It deprives them of a legacy & undermines everything they fought & died for. Injustice always has & always will be a part of this world. Justice, Peace, Equality & Unity are like everything else in life. No one is going to just GIVE it to you. If you really want it, you have to stand up & TAKE it! ‘By any means necessary’, to quote a fantastic human being. Let’s Honor their memory & prove that they did NOT die in vain by recognizing our brothers & sisters & continuously striving to INCREASE the PEACE!!!

10. AllSeeingEyeExposed

Nikay Jackson is a liar and a fraud, threatening murder and accusing people of murder. She has been reported to the proper authorities. Nikay Jackson wanted the Bayview Newspaper closed down, but it's her who has been closed down as her lies continue to unravel. Nikay I know you're reading this, don't accuse someone of being an agent when you have ties to the military 803-743-2839