Friends of the Children – SF Bay Area
Professional Mentor – Friends of the Children
Friends of the Children – SF Bay Area is the newest chapter of a national mentoring organization with a proven track record of helping our most vulnerable children break the cycle of generational poverty.
We employ trained, full-time professional mentors – we call them “Friends” – to provide a stable, caring, and sustained relationship in each child’s life for 12-1/2 years, no matter what!
Seeking to hire two more extraordinary individuals, one male and one female, who are looking to develop intensive, long-term, trusting relationships with children who need it most. Each Friend will work with eight children and will:
· Set positive expectations
· Nurture and promote the child’s individual strengths, talents and abilities
· Help assure physical and emotional well-being
· Teach life and academic skills
· Provide enrichment activities
· Model responsible behavior
· Each Friend will spend approximately four hours per week with each child and will report directly to the Program Director.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Minimum of AA degree, BA preferred
· At least 1-2 years experience working with at-risk youth
· Familiarity with the Bayview Hunters Point section of San Francisco or similar communities.
· Must pass drug screening
· Must have decent driving record
· Must pass fingerprint and background check
· Friends must provide their own child-safe vehicle and insurance; we reimburse for mileage
· Work hours vary but are generally 10am-7pm, Tuesday – Saturday, however flexibility is essential
If you are this amazing person, here’s what we have to offer:
· You’ll start on the ground floor of a small nonprofit, then grow with us;
· You’ll be part of a dynamic and supportive national network, with a proven, evidence-based mentoring model;
· You’ll have new challenges daily, and we commit to support you in every way, to help you serve our kids and to keep your batteries charged;
· You’ll be part of a friendly and collaborative workplace, where work-life balance is respected; and
· Most of all, you’ll play a critical role in helping San Francisco’s most vulnerable children change the trajectories of their lives!
Salary: $38,000 to $42,000, depending on experience
Benefits: Medical, dental and vision coverage for employee and dependents; 401(k) matching plan, basic life insurance and long term disability insurance; generous allowances for mileage, cellphone and other child-related expenses
Start Date: As soon as possible
To learn more about Friends of the Children, please go to: friendsofthechildren.org
Friends of the Children – SF Bay Area is committed to our community, to equal employment opportunity, and to diversity in our workplace. We are fiercely committed to equity and will ensure that every aspect of our mission is executed with full engagement of the communities impacted by our work.