donate or subscribe

March 31, 2015

by Mary Strope

Journalists, local newspaper publishers, instructors and students gathered on March 20 at Randy’s Place in the Ingleside to honor Juan Gonzales for his 30 years as a faculty member and chair of the Department of Journalism at City College of San Francisco.

Westside Observer Publisher Mitch Bull and Ingleside-Excelsior Publisher Alex Mullaney present Juan Gonzales with a certificate signed by San Francisco Mayor Edwin M. Lee honoring his 30 years teaching journalism at City College, where he heads the Journalism Department. The San Francisco Neighborhood Newspaper Association hosted the event on March 20 at Randy’s Place on Ocean Avenue. – Photo: Nathaniel Y. Downes

The mix of former and current students and colleagues attested to his dedication as they mingled, shot pool and enjoyed spaghetti and drinks in the cozy neighborhood bar.

“What Juan does, it’s not an institution, it’s a community,” said Ingleside-Excelsior Light publisher, journalist and UC Berkeley graduate student Alexander Mullaney, who credits Juan for directing him toward the field as a freshman.

This year also marks the 80th anniversary of City College itself and its bi-monthly, student-run paper, The Guardsman, which Gonzales serves as advisor.

One of the oldest community college newspapers in the country, the publication’s mix of local and college-wide news coverage regularly wins top honors – along with the department’s magazine, Etc. – at the Journalism Association of Community Colleges state convention.

“Juan emphasized the importance of learning by doing, holding us to a high standard but also encouraging our independence,” said former student Jennifer Balderama-McDonald, today a Chicago-based freelance writer and editor who once served as book editor for The New York Times.

“Because I had an interest in editing, Juan pushed me in that direction, and his crucial nudge set me on a path that led from an internship with the Dow Jones News Fund to, seven years later, a job at The New York Times.”

Journalists, local newspaper publishers, instructors and students gathered to honor Juan Gonzales for his 30 years as a faculty member and chair of the Department of Journalism at City College of San Francisco.

A community focus has always been part of Gonzales’ work at the journalism department.

El Tecolote, the Mission-based bilingual newspaper Gonzales founded in 1970, will celebrate its 45th year this August, and many of his students gain experience through it or other San Francisco Neighborhood Newspaper Association publications.

“For 31 years, we got some of our best interns and reporters from City College,” said former San Francisco Bay Guardian editor-in-chief Tim Redmond of his days at the now-departed weekly. Today, Redmond runs online newspaper 48 hills – which has also published student articles – and guest lectures at the school in an investigative reporting class.

“Juan emphasized the importance of learning by doing, holding us to a high standard but also encouraging our independence,” said former student Jennifer Balderama-McDonald.

Dan Verel, another former City College journalism student and now a health writer at MedCity News, agreed that the department’s high standards set him up for success after transferring to San Francisco State University in his mid-20s.

“We were far ahead of other students,” Verel said. “I don’t mean to sound dramatic, but he was kind of a savior.”

Today, Verel said his old friends from the department are all working in the field, a journey that began with Gonzales and fellow instructors Jon Rochmis and Tom Graham.

A longtime advocate for San Francisco’s Latino community, Gonzales is a board member of the non-profit Accion Latina that provides educational and cultural services. He’s received a Heroes of Excellence award from KGO-TV and a Distinguished Service Award from the Society of Professional Journalists.

Gonzales has no plans to retire and said he would continue to work as long as he felt he was “helping folks move on and achieve their goals.”

“It’s been a fun ride,” Gonzales told the crowd after being presented a Certificate of Honor from San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee. “It’s not over yet.”

For more information, contact publisher@inglesidelight.com.

37 thoughts on “After 30 years leading City College Journalism Department, ‘not over yet’ for Juan Gonzales

1. Parisflatlist

Thanks For shearing great information. Journey to paris ! It is enjoyable dream which i see. Sometimes we visit many place or country if you may a traveler you have must a vast knowledge about hotels and restaurant and it also be a qualified and healthy. So i suggest to visit my website Paris apartments rent and know more It may help your great journey in paris. We help to Find apartments and flats for rent in Paris. Paris Flat List offer 150 solutions for apartment and flat for your best holidays in Paris, France. Thanks.

2. custom writting

Yes, you said right that Juan Gonzales is a great personality. He served journalism for 30 years and now he is the leader in this field. His ideas and suggestion very useful for the junior person who are already in this filed. i think it's very enjoyable field for work. Thanks for sharing big post about this person.

3. Fitbit Sleep Tracker

Great post. When I was asked about the best fitness band for kids, I had to stammer and say, uh, let me get back with you. While I had looked at lots and tried several fitness bands for adults, I hadn’t really looked to see what was available for youngsters. There are some cute ones out there.

4. click

Very happy to find this website which have superb article for read. Always sharing such kinds of content here. I hope i find such articles in future. keep it up.

5. London brick

Thanks for sharing. It is a very well designed and managed website. The webmaster of this website seems to be a very expert person. He has maintained the website very well.

6. OBED-EDOM

This post has helped me for an article which I am writing. Thank you for giving me another point of view on this topic. It is very informative for me and i gain a lot information from it. Now I can easily complete my article. Thanks for sharing and keep on sharing. Legal Translation Service in Qatar

7. website

It is a very useful post for me. I have getting more information on this post. It is very informative and useful post. I would like to visit more websites like this.

8. james

This post has helped me for an article which I am composing. Much thanks to you for giving me another perspective on this theme. It is exceptionally instructive for me and i pick up a considerable measure data from it. Presently I can without much of a stretch finish my article. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing and continue sharing. Legitimate Translation Service in Qatar djs for hire in liverpool

9. Womenra

Education is very important for all people and as it is said: It is never to late to learn! And Juan Gonzales is a great example that worth following.

10. smith

<h2>Armed Temporary Security Guard Companies</h2>
    Armed Temporary Security Guard Companies – When planning an event for your business or organization, the last thing you want is for it to get out of control and have what was supposed to be a profitable, joyous occasion turn into one in which property was stolen or violence broke out. For this reason, it’s a must that you turn to a reputable armed temporary security guard company to make sure things go according to plan.

11. WordPress Web

ProWeb365 is a full web design services company in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We specialize in custom web design, web development, and online marketing. We love what we do and we do what our clients love & work with great clients all over the world to create thoughtful and purposeful websites.

12. jaime

leading City College Journalism student and a college student announcement of in this the book. This book provided the good and important point given us. I am very happy to read in this the book. keep it up.
    airport travel uk

13. flhome

Outstanding post! I really impressed to read the great information that you have posted. I appreciate you for this sharing and want to say that keep sharing such kind of posts. contact us for plumbers.

14. Wilson

You have shared such an informative site to us. You are impressive person who have shared such type of reliable information. Keep sharing next time also.
    click here

15. Hina Sharma

Hina Sharma is top rated girls in UAE. You just need to make one search on the online platform and you will certainly come across hundreds of websites that are offering you with the service of Escorts in UAE. <a title="Click here" href="http://www.hina-sharma.com/">Click here if you want to know more.

16. Jake

Your post is very good and this is a very informational site Paris is a wonderful city there are many places that I had saw in Paris it was wonderful and amazing just like the place in Dubai city.

17. John wick

Gonzales is a great personality I am agreed with your through I wishes you Always sharing such kinds of content here. I am an overnight desert safari read your great article here after reading your article i invite you to come and enjoy desert safari with me http://www.desertsafarievening.com/