Support SF BayView
Donate or Subscribe to SF Bay View
Follow Us Twitter Facebook

Venezuela steps up aid effort to Haiti, questions U.S. military deployment

January 21, 2010

by Kiraz Janicke, Venezuelanalysis.com

A crowd of about 2,000 Haitians, desperate for water, food, shelter and medical care, seem unhappy – or at least unimpressed – with the presence of a U.S. soldier. Speaking for Venezuela, the first country to send aid to Haiti, on the morning after the earthquake, President Hugo Chavez’ policy is “helping Haiti, not occupying Haiti.” – Photo: AP
Caracas, Jan. 20 (Venezuelanalysis.com) – Venezuela has stepped up its aid effort to Haiti as a second earthquake rocked the Caribbean country again today. This follows a 7.3 magnitude earthquake which destroyed the Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince, last week, leaving at least 75,000 people confirmed dead, 250,000 injured and millions homeless.

Echoing his Nicaraguan counterpart Daniel Ortega, who accused the United States of “manipulating the tragedy to install North American troops in Haiti,” and French Secretary of State for Cooperation Alain Joyandet, who criticised the U.S. role in Haiti, saying the priority was “helping Haiti, not occupying Haiti,” Venezuela’s president Hugo Chavez also questioned the U.S. military response to the disaster.

“It seems that the United States is militarily occupying Haiti, taking advantage of the tragedy; 6,000 soldiers have arrived. Thousands of men are disembarking in Haiti as if it were a war,” Chávez said during his weekly television program, Alo Presidente (Hello, President), on Sunday.

Haiti “needs doctors, tents, rescue teams and machinery … Now, who said soldiers, rifles and machine guns are necessary?” he asked.

As of today, the U.S. has donated $130 million (according to USAID), sent more than 11,200 military personnel, 265 government medical personal, five Navy ships, as well as five Coast Guard cutters and seven cargo planes “to assist in aid delivery, support and evacuations,” Associated Press (AP) reported. The U.S. has delivered “more than 90,000 pounds” or 40 metric tons of aid and supplies, the AP report continued. The U.S. has also taken control of the airport at Port-au-Prince.

Aid organization Doctors Without Borders has also criticized the U.S.’s prioritization of military logistics over food and medical aid, saying planes carrying urgently needed surgical equipment and drugs have been turned away five times, even though the agency received prior authorization to land.

“Urgent and vital attention to the people has been delayed [for] military logistics,” Francoise Saulnier, head of the Doctors Without Borders legal department, was quoted by Reuters today. “So it’s just apocalyptic at the moment with people in a very, very bad and deteriorating condition,” she added.

Venezuela was the first country to send aid after the disaster struck on Jan. 12, with an advance team of doctors, search and rescue experts as well as food, water, medical supplies and rescue equipment arriving in Port-au-Prince on the morning of Jan. 13. However, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicholas Maduro said since then aid shipments to Haiti were being diverted via the neighboring Dominican Republic to avoid restrictions imposed by the U.S. at the Port-au-Prince airport.

So far Venezuela has sent 616 metric tons of food aid and 116 metric tons of equipment, including water purification systems, electrical generators and heavy equipment for moving rubble.

At the inauguration of a new cable car system in Caracas on Wednesday, President Hugo Chavez announced that five more ships loaded with aid left Sunday for Haiti. He is also supplying free fuel, saying, “The Venezuelan people will donate all the fuel the Haitian people need.” – Photo: Fernando Llano, AP
Venezuela, the largest oil exporter in South America, is also sending free fuel to the devastated country, with Chavez pledging, “The Venezuelan people will donate all the fuel the Haitian people need.”

The fuel will be used to operate power plants and public transportation. “We are coordinating with the president of the Dominican Republic, Leonel Fernández, who put the terminal of the refinery of his country at our service,” the Venezuelan president continued.

A tanker with 225,000 barrels (worth approximately US$18 million) of diesel fuel and gasoline departed from Venezuela on Sunday.

The Venezuela-Cuba initiated Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of our Americas (ALBA) fair trade bloc, which also includes Bolivia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Dominica, Antigua and Barbados, and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, has also sent two ships carrying 4,761 metric tons of food aid.

Speaking at the inauguration of the San Agustín cable car system in Caracas today, Chavez announced that another five ships loaded with food and medical supplies departed for Haiti yesterday, adding, “We have sent one or two Venezuelan soldiers to support and protect the safety of everyone there, but not to militarily occupy them as the U.S. intends to do.”

He said the Venezuelan government is doing everything in its power to provide as much help as possible while at the same time respecting the independence and sovereignty of Haiti.

Chavez pointed out that Haiti was the first free republic in Latin America and called for reflection on the situation of poverty in the Caribbean country, for which he said capitalism is responsible. “We all need to help the Haitians. Long live the people of Haiti!” he urged.

Tags

Filed Under: Uncategorized
Tags:

8 thoughts on “Venezuela steps up aid effort to Haiti, questions U.S. military deployment

  1. Lena

    Venezuela is right to question why troops would be there in Haiti.It makes no sense.I am concerned that this situation is going to be a hurricane katrina all over again.In new orleans many INNOCENT people died at the hands of the army and other organizations sent there to protect the homes of the wealthy.It really was a semi genocide.I hope that this won’t be the fate of the Haitian people.If i’m not mistaken I believe that America has been looking for a location for prisoners of war and a new army base and they had been considering Haiti.So these earthquakes were perfect timing for America to go over there and claim a piece of the land.

    Reply
  2. Lena

    I know from people who were there during katrina that INNOCENT people were executed by military forces as well as secret service agents who had been contrcted by wealthy people who owned properties in New Orleans to protect their houses.This is NOT a conspiracy.

    Reply
  3. proud america

    Chavez also said that the U.S. used a super secret earthquake device to cause the earthquake intentionally, so I question his credibility…

    Reply
  4. Bob

    Lena…..I live in New Orleans and my home and those of many friends were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina and you are full of sh*t!

    Reply
  5. Lena

    Bob kiss my a**!(since we’re cursing)I don’t give a damn about who you knew.Many people that were INNOCENT were MURDERED in New Orleans.Not by the local thugs but by police officers and other outside sources.I don’t give a damn about what you believe Bob.It’s about what I KNOW.If it did’nt happen to anybody you knew consider yourself lucky ASSHOLE!

    Reply
  6. Gene

    Lena… Name one innocent person murdered by the police in N.O. after Katrina. Where did it happen. Who was the murderer. What were the results; trial, accusation, arrest etc. You sound more like a conspiracy theorist than a fact based party.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

BayView Classifieds - ads, opportunities, announcements
San Francisco Comcast
Advertisement