by Morris Turner
Every day is a blessing and every moment is an opportunity to learn, grow and be better than we were yesterday. This goes for fathers as well as their children, and the most important thing is to enjoy the journey.
Here are a few things and situations other fathers have found enjoyable:
2) Playing the “guessing game,” where I ask my child to close her eyes, put an object in her hand and ask her what it is.
3) Going to the park to feed the ducks.
4) Taking my 2-month-old out to look at the sky and feel the wind in their face.
5) Cutting the umbilical cord of my child.
6) Having my child fall asleep on my chest.
7) Washing dishes with my 10-year-old and laughing.
8) Having my child teach me something new like using the computer.
9) Taking photographs of my children doing anything at all.
10) Having my child grow up to be just the kind of person I always hoped he would be.
It doesn’t take much to find enjoyment in your children, only your patience and your time. Make your children the most important thing in your life, because they are.
Morris Turner is the father of two sons, ages 39 and 35. Over the past 45 years he has worked with children and young people in a variety of settings, including as preschool teacher, career counselor, family mentor and sports coach. He is also an author and recognized researcher in the area of African American settlement in the United States, but his greatest pleasure today is learning to be a good grandpa. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (707) 794-0729.