Free drug and alcohol programs for the people!
by Calvin Johnson and Cedric Akbar, PDEC
Over the years, we are given a lifetime to do something worthwhile, and helping others to recognize their potential is our firm belief. Staying on track with the goals we have set for Positive Directions Equals Change not only pushes us to new levels of accomplishments, it keeps the organization focused.
Have you ever noticed that when you’ve been comfortable for a long time, you get a little stale? Do you know why that is? It’s because comfort and growth simply do not occur at the same time. Positive Directions Equals Change recognizes the value of a growth mindset. As we navigate in the New Year to address accessibility to services, barriers, affordability and treatment modalities, we will continue to problem solve for the benefit of the population we serve.
In the area of substance abuse and mental disorders, the solutions are not a one size fits all approach, but individually tailored assessment, programmatic referral and services that meet clients’ needs – culturally specific, Spanish speaking, women empowerment and justice involved men. Check out some of the flagship programs.
Resource Network of Positive Directions Equals Changes, Inc. and Westside Community Services
- TRP Academy: Call for intake: 415-735-2970. Description: A therapeutic teaching community facility and program open to all justice-involved men in San Francisco. TRP’s priority population are individuals who are on probation, state parole, federal probation, or those released on pretrial.
- Billie Holiday Stabilization Center: 93 Sixth Street, San Francisco, CA. Call for Intake to 628-688-0686. Description: A program open to all justice-involved adults in San Francisco struggling with addiction or other behavioral health challenges, who are seeking longer term treatment, as well as those being released from San Francisco County Jail.
- James Baldwin House. Call for intake: 415-401-0199. Referral Only. Description: Mental health and substance abuse transitional housing.
- H.E.R. House. Call for intake: 415-431-9000, ext. 1047. Description: Residential substance abuse program for women.
- The Gathering. 245 11th Street, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA. Fridays only, 7:00 p.m. through 9:00 p.m. Description: The largest city support group, a sharing and caring environment. All are welcome!
- The Minna Project. Call for intake: 415-874-9077. Referral only. Description: Mental health and substance abuse transitional housing with clinical and case management services.
- Mi Casa (monolingual Spanish speaking). Call for intake: 415-401-0199. Description: Transitional housing offering substance abuse prevention and case management services.
- No Violence Alliance Project (NoVA). Call for intake: 415-401-0199. Description: The Positive Directions Equals Changes, Inc., NoVa Project is in conjunction with the San Francisco Sheriff’s Office, a voluntary opportunity to change your life if you have served time in jail over the past five years for burglary or violent crime. With a NoVA intensive case manager, participants set goals to take control of your life’s direction.
- Our House. Call for intake: 415-401-0199. Referral only. Description: Substance abuse and mental health transitional housing with intensive case management.
- Sisters Circle Women’s Support Network, Inc.: Daily classes offered at 1140 Oak Street, San Francisco, CA, from 10:00 a.m. through 3:30 p.m. A weekly class offered at the Community Assessment & Services Center (CASC) Building, 564 Sixth Street, San Francisco, CA. Contact: 415-261-2944. Description: Sisters Circle is a transformative intervention program designed to educate and empower women to overcome the barriers of homelessness, domestic violence, substance abuse, sexual abuse, incarceration, chronic illness and trauma histories. We help women to gain employment, housing and apply to school or training programs. We also host events and provide needed supplies, such as COVID-19 supplies, hygiene kits, clothes and household goods.
- Solutions for Women. Weekly services on Zoom Tuesdays from 6:30 p.m. through 8:30 pm. Contact: 415-572-2873. Description: Solutions for Women is committed to the empowerment of women. We support and connect them to resources, encourage emotional wellness and promote education. We provide the community with weekly support groups for women, monthly collaborative events, annual wellness retreats and mentorship. Support group discussions revolve around everyday life and how to utilize coping skills to survive successes and/or hardships. Everything discussed is confidential; groups are jointly facilitated by founding members who are trained in group facilitation, motivational interviewing and de-escalation.
- Westside Crisis Center. 245 11th Street, San Francisco, CA. Drop-in from 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Description: Mental health and assessment services, with a pharmacy component.
- Westside Methadone Clinic. 1301 Pierce Street, San Francisco, CA. Call for intake: 415-563-8200. Description: Methadone maintenance and detoxification treatment services.
If you or someone you know needs help for addiction or co-occurring disorder issues, please give us a call. Positive Directions Equals Change, a community-based organization in the Bayview, offers classes and support groups each day of the week. If we aren’t the best fit for you or your loved one, we will take the necessary time to work with you to find a treatment center or provider that better fits your needs. Please give us a call at 415-401-0199 or email our team at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The schedule is pictured and all are welcome.