by Baba Jahahara Amen-RA Alkebulan-Ma’at
6259 AA (November 2019 J-PG)
Africans Deserve Reparations! Cause, Black Lives Truly Matter!
Greetings of IMANI (FAITH) Esteemed G-o-ds and Sister-Brother Leaders,
My sacred prayer is that our Divine Mother-Father Creator of and in All – and Beloved Ancients and Ancestors from yesteryears and yesterday – finds you and (y)our extended Family thriving in healing Spirit in spite of these difficult moments.
In our two most recent columns, WE discussed the catastrophic corporate capitalist-induced firestorms devastating our nations from central Africa to the Brazilian Amazonas river valley. Well, closer to our current residence here in the land of Queen CALAFIA, hundreds of thousands of acres are burning out of control causing more unnecessary death and destruction. The principle culprit is, once again, the big profit-motivated utility corporations like the Pacific, Gas & Electric Co., which has criminally not made necessary repairs to its equipment. This neglect, combined with the intense drought, heat and high winds typical of climate change are fueling these “torch-like” conditions.
Our sacred condolences
WE are mourning the loss of our precious baby daughter recently born to Queen Felicia and Baba Karega Bailey, the power-houses behind the great Oakland-based edutainment collective Sol Development. WE know that time, as well as the love and support of our commUNITY, will help this family get through this very tragic and difficult life experience. Asé.
WE are also remembering our beloved JOHN CONYERS JR. of Detroit, who has transformed to the Spirit realm. Elder John put in some major work during his 90 years. This includes being on the frontlines as a People’s Attorney, Congressman and long-time fighter for African and New Afrikan, human, voting, labor, women’s, the imprisoned and immigrants’ rights.
He was the main political force behind our achieving the annual Rev. Dr. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. federal holiday on the third Monday in January. And, where i had the opportunity to work with him most closely, in leading the development, introduction and building support in our communities and in Congress for Reparations.
Elder John worked with many in our movement to author and revise our H.R. 40, “The Commission to Study and DEVELOP REPARATIONS PROPOSALS FOR AFRICAN Americans Act” in the U.S. House of Representatives (and which now has a companion bill S.1083 in the U.S. Senate). Elder John was also a founder in 1965 of the Congressional Black Caucus. WE are so grateful to have had the opportunity to know, befriend, learn from, mourn with, challenge and be challenged by this truly dedicated servant of the people. Asé.
Ironically, on the same weekend that Elder John transformed into the Ancestral realm, his friend and colleague ELIJAH CUMMINGS was being memorialized in Baltimore, Maryland. Also an attorney for the people and legislator, he too was a strong advocate for justice for African people, workers, immigrants and others. He became well-known as a critical member, and then Chair, of the U.S. House of Representative’s “Oversight Committee.”
Before his recent hospitalization and transition, Cummings used his leadership role to help expose the corruption of the corporate-fascist Trump-Pence regime and its abuse of power, especially their torture of Black and Brown immigrant families and children; and, the regime’s raiding of the government’s treasury. So, WE also honor the good life and work of Elder and Congressman ELIJAH CUMMINGS! Asé.
Long Live the Spirit and impactful contributions of these and All our Ancestors. Asé.
There were several major anniversaries over the past month. WE express our Kupongeza (Congratulations in Swahili) and Gratitude to:
- American Indian Movement (AIM) on this 50th Anniversary of the righteous occupation of Alcatraz island to dramatize the usa settler-government’s genocide against our Indigenous nations. Respect and assist our Indigenous hosts on these lands at https://www.aim-west.org/ Asé.
- Visionary God(dess) Wanda Sabir and the multitude of volunteers who have helped build the Bay Area’s Maafa Ancestral commemoration for the past 24 years. i recall shortly after relocating to Oakland from Chicago in the mid-1990s, just four of us practicing our sacred remembrances at Ocean Beach. Now, hundreds participate annually. Ase`.
- All who supported our monumental two Million Man March in 6235 AAC (16 October 1995). And, yes, WE are definitely … STILL ON THE MARCH! (https://soundcloud.com/user-424028583/still-on-the- march ) Asé.
- Ev’body’s Main Man, Tony Coleman, on an amazing 10 years of serving our West Oakland community and youth, through running the Bikes4Life shop and other related community businesses on historic Seventh Street, in West Oakland. Support Baba Tony at https://www.bikes4life.com/
- Brother Toriano Gordon on the Grand Opening of his new and delicious VEGAN MOB restaurant in the old Kwik-Way between Lakeshore and Grand Avenue (near Lake Merritt).
- Tipping Point Community’s “End Poverty in the Bay Area” for their magnificent concert which raised over a million dollars to go directly to groups dealing with impoverishment on the streets, not in the corporate suites. Special shout-outs to TPC Founder Daniel Lurie (who helped fund some of the community, labor and immigrant groups i worked with in New York City’s five boroughs nearly two decades ago), President Sam Cobbs, Board Leader Queen Lateefah Simon et al … and, indeed, the outstanding performers at the sold-out event in Oakland, which included Destiny Arts and the Grammy award-winning The Roots band as well as our brilliant KC home-girl Janelle Monae (Robinson) and her fabulous all-women’s orchestra. Be down with TPC. Make a contribution of any amount to Tipping Point Community’s righteous efforts at https://tippingpoint.org/ Asé.
Elect Chesa Boudin and Manu Raju in San Francisco!
While i’ve never been a resident of San Francisco, i do have family and close associates, and have worked in neighborhoods, on the west side of the Bay. So, i encourage everyone to learn more about, challenge when necessary, support and join the campaigns and vote to elect true candidates for the people on Tuesday, 5 November 2019.
This includes Chesa Boudin for SF District Attorney and Manohar “Manu” Raju for SF Public Defender. Both of these brilliant Brothers were key leaders on our beloved Ancestor JEFF ADACHI’s Public Defender staff. In the Spirit of Brother Jeff, they have a progressive vision for true representation and seeking justice for the most marginalized and exploited communities, including the less than 4 percent people of African ancestry still in San Francisco.
They have also shown, in practice, that they will use the law to expose and help convict abusive members of the police and sheriff’s department, some who have gotten away with racist acts and numerous crimes against humanity, including torture and terrorism, false arrests which led to unjust convictions and jailings, and even murder. Asé.
Finally, it is our hope that you will also vote an affirmative YES ON PROP A to build more desperately-needed affordable housing which will help address the growing crises of people without adequate shelter. It is supported by Mayor London Breed, members of the Board of Supervisors, teachers’ and other unions as well as affordable housing and tenant rights activists. As it requires a two-thirds majority, EVERY VOTE COUNTS! Asé.
Please Support Our Bay View
Asante Sana (Many Thanks)! WE again express our appreciation to those of you who have made a much- needed contribution to our San Francisco Bay View newspaper, placed an ad, or taken a subscription for yourself or an incarcerated family member. However, WE are mightily struggling to keep this liberation newspaper in print and distributed FOR FREE throughout the Bay Area and around the united capitalist prison terrorist states (including to numerous penitentiaries where our Bay View is not currently banned due to our radical political stances and giving a voice to the voiceless).
Please, please make a tax-deductible donation ASAP by calling us at 415-671-0789 or going to our website at www.sfbayview.com. You can also send contributions of any amount the old-fashioned way by mailing to 4917 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94124. Asé.
#BlackLivesMatter #AfricansDeserveReparations #BringOurEldersHomeNow #AbolishPrisons #LoveandDefendMotherEarth
Jahahara Amen-RA Alkebulan-Ma’at is a Baba (Father), a “FREE-tired” community-labor-environmental and justice organizer, writer, musician and author of several books, including “Many Paths to Kujichagulia (Self- Determination).” Take a listen to a few songs from his musical catalog, including “500 YEARS OF AFRIKAN RESISTANCE!!!” at https://soundcloud.com/search?q=jahahara. Invite Jahahara to present at your group, school, church or event c/o firstname.lastname@example.org FONAMI, P.O. Box 10963, oakland, ca 94610 usa.